One day the week before last, I woke up feeling a little more tired than usual. I mean, I am always tired these days but on that particular day I just felt, a bit, wrong. I (like most parents) took a paracetamol and soldiered on.
The following day I woke up feeling like utter rubbish. I had a raging temperature, my body ached, I could barely manage to lift my head off my pillow. Luckily it was a Saturday so I stayed where I was and let MrG take charge of the kids for the day.
Sunday wasn’t much better but at least I could get out of bed. By Monday I was still running a fever and I had noticed (using my phone as a torch – handy) some white spots on my tonsils. I relented and made myself an appointment with my GP.
The gods were clearly smiling on me. The usual hour long wait didn’t happen and I was able to be seen almost straight away – praise be the NHS! My theory is that I looked like death warmed up and they just couldn’t risk leaving me in the waiting room for too long. You know, in case I scared the other patients.
The Doctor quickly confirmed that I had Bacterial Tonsillitis and sent me on my way with some Antibiotics.
So, it turns out Tonsillitis is actually the worst. If someone tells you they have it you need to heap sympathy (and ice cream) upon them.
If you do have to deal with Tonsillitis I recommend the following to help alleviate the symptoms
- Get plenty of rest. If you cannot sleep then binge watching Netflix also works.
- Ice pops (or ice poles depending on where you are from) are said to feel good on your throat but I preferred straight forward ice cubes or ice chips.
- Jelly and ice cream is easy to eat. Soup is ok but not too hot!
- Anaesthetic throat spray was a lifesaver for me. It just numbs out the whole area. Bliss.
- After the initial very painfully sore throat I found that cups of tea with a little honey were very soothing.
- alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen to help with the pain.
I feel tons better now and I did lose nearly a stone in weight by existing on jelly and ice cream for 6 days so there is that…